Nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, articles, adverbs, and prepositions form the cast for playing Sentence Scramble. This is a great game for use with elementary students and international students learning English as a second language. The object is to form as many sentences as possible with a color-coded set of word cards. Words have been carefully selected from a ranked list of the most common words in English. Teaching goals may focus on basic sentence structure, grammatical function of a part of speech, or vocabulary development. For group, pair, or individual play.
Intended Use: Use parts of speech to help understand the basic structure of English sentences
Key Objectives (State, National & Common Core Standards) :
• Construct complete and age-appropriate sentences with various parts of speech (nouns, verbs, pronouns,
adjectives, adverbs, and prepositions)
• Edit for correct word order, recognizing how parts of speech contribute to sentence structure
• Use subjects and verbs that agree
• Use nouns and pronouns that agree
• Correctly use contractions
•The 400 word tiles, printed on both sides, offer 800 color-coded sets of nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives and articles, adverbs, and prepositions.
• Singular and plural word choices invite practice in using subjects and verbs that agree.
• Pairs of antonyms on the adjective and adverb tiles help expand vocabulary.
• Contractions present another learning opportunity.
• Versatile play for groups, pairs, or individuals. You only need a flat surface, although an optional Sentence
Grid is provided.
• Supports state and national English language arts standards
The object of the game is to make as many sentences as possible with a set of word tiles. All tiles are color-coded: nouns (orange), pronouns (green), adjectives and articles (blue), verbs (yellow), adverbs (purple), and prepositions (tan).
Material Code 0413
10 Common Core Aligned Teaching Tips for your classroom! Need ideas? Get them now! Or do you want 101 Teaching Tips for only $5.99? Click Here! All teachers need new...
101 Great Teaching Tips for English Language Learners: Flexible & Fun Teaching Ideas for the Kindergarten to Adult Classroom with Language Learners (eBook) This e-book provides 101 research-based teaching...
Target development of key vocabulary — especially for first-graders! Photo cards are an incredibly flexible tool that can help students to practice with content vocabulary in a multitude of ways. ...
Everyday ELL is now Every Language Learner.